With the rise of various reputable conveyance aggregators over the past several years, many people are beginning to enter the professional taxi sector and initiate their professional transportation careers, mainly because of the advantages associated with this unique entrepreneurial endeavour:
- Personalised Hours: If you become an official PCO driver, you’ll be able to reap the rewards of being your own boss and running your own schedule. You get to choose when you work, how long you work, and where to work as well, which are boons that are hard to find in other vocations.
- Steady Work: Let’s face it; taxicabs, busses, and private car hires will always have a place in our global commercial environment as people will always need access to streamlined conveyance options on a year-round basis. As such, you’ll be able to find consistent work regardless of where you happen to live.
- Lucrative Income: If you augment your schedule to establish availability for the busiest times of the year, such as holidays and weekends, it’s important to note that full-time professional drivers can make up to £90,000 per year in gross income. Best of all, much of the income is cash – up to 90% of your gross receipts during the year.
If you’re interested in commencing your very own professional driving career, it’s worth mentioning that there aren’t many barriers to entry and the actual process is very easy to facilitate.
The remainder of this brief article will explain the details.
Becoming an Official PCO Driver
By reaching out to the municipal transportation authority (Transport for London), you’ll be able to fill out an online application or a mail-in application pack. The requirements for approval are shown below:
- Must be at least 21 years of age
- Hold a valid DVLA or EEA driving licence
- Have the right to live and work in the UK
- Must be of good character and able to pass a DBS check
- Must be medically fit to perform driving tasks
- Pass an intuitive topographical skills assessment from an accredited education centre
After completing your licensing process, the only remaining step is to ensure that your vehicle is authorised and approved for official taxi work.
Partnering with a Trustworthy PCO Car Service
If you don’t want to spend huge amounts of money on augmenting your current vehicle to adhere to Public Carriage Office regulations, it’s in your best interests to partner with a reputable PCO car hire in London. With this notion in mind, you’ll want to focus on the following traits and aspects during your search for a distinguished car hire service.
- Full fleet of Uber-approved cars that have been road-tested
- An in-house focus on hybrid electric cars that are eco-friendly, long-lasting, and great on fuel economy
- All vehicles fitted with certified safety cameras
- Weekly, monthly, or long-term contracts available to suit your specific career goals
- Tyres, servicing, maintenance, and brakes included within your contractual agreement
- Comprehensive insurance and 24/7 breakdown cover included with no out-of-pocket fees for any vehicular issues experienced during your contract
- Easy-to-use online portal with the ability to upload your PCO documents directly on the firm’s webpage
- Available rent-to-buy option without any balloon payments in the contract
With this inclusive checklist at your disposal, you’re more than ready to begin your professional taxi career!