Maintaining your vehicle is one of the best ways to keep it trouble free and on the road for years to come. The heat of summer along with the wear and tear throughout the year can be hard on your car. Below our trusted Victoria BC mechanics have provided a list of 10 essential things to include on your vehicle summer maintenance list.
- Replace the air filter – Winter driving can result in a buildup of salt and debris in the air filter even the road surface can affect the air filter. If you do some driving on unpaved or dirt roads dust and gravel will add to the dirt buildup.
- Check coolant levels – Low coolant levels can result in your engine overheating and result in a big problem. The best time to check levels is when the engine is cool, we recommend checking out the coolant hoses as well.
- Check the belts – The belts should be inspected for cracks to prevent being stuck when you’re on the road, they’re responsible for running the car’s internal fan. Replacing a cracked or worn one is much less expensive than the damage caused by overheating.
- Check tread and rotate tires – Cold weather can cause tire pressure to drop while hot summer driving conditions do the opposite. The change in seasons is a good time to check tire pressure along with the tread on tires or rotating them if it’s time.
- Check the brakes – The most important safety feature is the vehicle’s braking system, if you notice any problems with the brakes get it seen to asap
- Check the suspension – You want to be sure the suspension doesn’t need repair to have a smoother ride over potholes and road construction.
- Check the oil – Maintaining proper oil levels and regular oil changes will extend the lifespan of your vehicle.
- Check the battery – Cleaning battery posts of corrosion will guarantee you don’t get caught with a car that won’t start.
- Check the lights – Regular checking all signal and brake lights are in working order could keep you from being pulled over or even prevent an accident.
- Check the spark plugs – Spark plugs are a crucial component of your car’s engine and can affect your gas mileage and engine’s performance and are often overlooked.
Many vehicle owners like to leave these maintenance details to their repair shop in Victoria BC. At Victoria Transmission & Auto Care we offer a complete safety check when you drop your car off for an oil change, why not call us today to book an appointment.