If you want to post your video online so that you can share it with others, then there is no better place to start than YouTube. Free to use, familiar to all (maybe some pockets of China or North Korea aside) and shareable and with an audience of billions, it often seems like the only game in town.
So if you want to upload that video of your oh-so-cute children smacking heck out of each other with planks, or that fascinating speech from your boss that needs uplaoding to a work account, then you’ll need a channel. Without a channel, you can watch, like or subscribe to other people’s videos (with your Google account), but you have no public presence.
How to create a YouTube channel in your own name
- First, make sure that you’re signed in to YouTube, with your Google account (obviously you may need to create one if you’re brand new to this).
- Try to do something that requires you to have a channel – upload a video, create a playlist or comment on someone else’s work.
- If you don’t yet have a channel, you’ll get a prompt to create one
- Simply check the details (with your Google account name and your photo) and confirm – and bingo, a new channel
How to create a YouTube channel with a business or other name
If you want to create a channel for work, your business or simply in another name, then the steps are slightly different:
- Again, make sure you’re signed in on YouTube.
- Go to All my channels.
- If you want to make a YouTube channel for a Google+ page that you manage, that option will be presented here
- If you want a new channel in a different name, then choose Create a new channel to set up a channel with a different name than that of your Google account.
- Simply fill in the details to create your new channel.
All that remains now is to create videos worth watching. That’s the hard bit.